Browse Exhibits (6 total)
Why a Schoolhouse briefly examines the one-room schoolhouses’ centrality to the originally mission of FHSU’s earliest incarnation as a normal school and the circumstances that initially prompted the restoration project.
The Selection Process & Decision details the “Stone Schoolhouse Committee’s” formation, their efforts to identify buildings suitable for preservation, the resolution of financial and logistical issues, and the committee’s final selection of the Plymouth Schoolhouse.
The Plymouth Schoolhouse History (1874-1936) explores the school’s founding and construction, Plymouth students’ traditional curriculum and recreation, and the school’s function as a hub of community activities as reconstructed by Mrs. Doubrava.
As its title suggests, Section four describes the Dismantling and Restoration of the Schoolhouse.
Section five describes the 1979 Dedication that commemorated the completed restoration and relocation of the school to the Fort Hays State campus.
The Schoolhouse to the Present highlights the 1994 rededication ceremony as well as the College of Education’s continuing stewardship of the Plymouth School and its living history program.